Harvard supports a mother’s choice to breastfeed her baby while pursuing her career. Harvard has 22 lactation rooms across the University: 9 in Cambridge, 3 in Allston, 9 in the Longwood Medical Area, and 1 at the Harvard Forest. If you would like to ‘Partner with Us’ to provide additional space, please see below.
Any nursing mother who is a Harvard affiliate (faculty, staff, student, affiliate or their breastfeeding spouse/domestic partner) can register to use any Harvard lactation room. Lactation rooms are equipped with a hospital-grade Medela pump and many have another space for private pump use. Women will need to provide their own Medela/Symphony and /or Lactina accessory kit to use the hospital-grade pump. These can be purchased online (Amazon.com, Isis Parenting) or from local pharmacies.
Lactation rooms can be found in the following locations. Please contact the appropriate lactation room manager for registration prior to use.
Holyoke Center, 1350 Massachusetts Avenue
- Natalie Beaumont-Smith: 617-495-4100
- Please click here for registration. Instructions for use (including exact location) will be emailed upon registration.
Observatory/Center for Astrophysics, 60 Garden Street
- Antonella Fruscione: 617-496-7851
Biolabs, 16 Divinity Avenue
CGIS/Knafel Building, 1737 Cambridge Street
School of Education, Longfellow Hall, 13 Appian Way
- Alex Galindo: 617-495-8035
- Please note that a special access ID card will be needed for the room
Harvard Law School, Areeda Hall, 1545 Massachusetts Avenue
- Cathleen Segal: 617-496-2437
Harvard Business School
- Aldrich Hall, 35 Harvard Way and Cumnock Hall, 33 Harvard Way, Allston
- Cathy Francisco: 617-495-6814
- Teele Hall: 60 N. Harvard St
- Sadia Jiminian: 617-495-6944.
Longwood Medical Area
- Nine locations across HSPH, HMS, and HSDM
- Human Resources Customer Service: 617-432-2035
- More information can be found at their web site
Harvard Forest, Shaler Hall, 324 N. Main Street, Petersham
- Kristina Stinson: 978-657-6184
Harvard Kennedy School
- 79 John F. Kennedy St.,Taubman Building
- Contact: Natalie Beaumont-Smith, 617-495-4100
Widener Library, Ground Floor, Sage Café
- Please bring your University ID to access the Library
- Contact: Jeanette Sanchez at 617-495-3721
Partner with us
Free hospital-grade pumps to qualified partners
If you would like to partner with us in opening up a lactation room in your part of campus, the Office of Work/Life has a limited number of hospital-grade pumps available (a $900 value). A document outlining the minimum room requirements is available. Please contact the Office of Work/Life at email@example.com or call 617-495-4100 for details.
The Business Case for Breastfeeding
The Office of Work/Life has information for managers on how to support breastfeeding employees. Please call for additional resources: 617-495-4100.